Monday, September 20, 2010

Movie stills 1

Lately, I've begun to notice food in movies and television series. I've only yet scratched the surface but based on my recollection, unless the theme of the film or series is featuring food in some way, there isn't much focus on the meals themselves or food being intrinsic to the story line. However, I feel I'll have to re-visit a few to make sure that that's true and will be paying much more attention from now on.

In contrast, I have always noticed that in Asian films in particular, when a scene includes eating or food in some form, it seems like their intention is to make us feel as though we are there, enjoying it too. While the characters exchange their dialogues, you hear the sizzle, the crunch and see closeups of soup bubbling and steam impending the space around them. Due to these incredibly salivating scenes, I've been making it a habit to capture stills of them.

The ones captured here are from films and series that have other central themes to their plot lines but when food became part of the visual stimuli, it was as though their intention was to make me feel as though it was meant for me and I could relish in my imagination of smell and taste and visual opulence.




(a really lovely shot of noodles in different colours being dried)


No comments:

Post a Comment