Not long ago, I stumbled upon a film called "Le Grand Chef 2: Kimchi Battle". The story of the film centers around the token food of Korea, which is Kimchi. Before watching this movie, the last "food" movie I had seen was "Eat, Pray, Love" and I must say that the previously mentioned film had me salivating so much more, to the point where I literally felt satiated, as though I had eaten, by the end of the film.
In "Eat, Pray, Love" I most definitely was drooling over the closeups but it was a film about watching other people eat, which was a bit antagonizing. I can't say I didn't enjoy it but I was a bit disappointed.
This film however has a wonderfully touching plot line that is deeply intertwined with the food theme. The food is beautifully shot and I was made to feel as though it was served to me which made me enjoy it so much more and live vicariously through the characters. I ended up capturing so many stills as the cinematography was brilliant and I feel I should share them all as I can't decide which ones to leave out!
What I enjoyed most about these scenes, was the variety of dishware in terms of colour and shape. There was no limit to the way food could be displayed, whether in a bowl or on a flat piece of ceramic. This film has re-instated to me how a food vessel is so much more than simple containing food, it has the power to modify our perceptions in an incredible number of ways.
No comments:
Post a Comment